Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Can I see my house from here?


e-ScienceTalk is in Taipei this week for ISGC2011 and OGF31. I flew in at 10pm last night and my body clock is still not sure what time zone I’m in but I’m enjoying my first experiences of the region. First stop on the tourist trail before the full meeting gets underway was the half-a-kilometre-tall Taipei 101 tower. It was the world’s tallest building from 2004 to 2010, until it was surpassed by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. The building also boasts the world’s fastest lift, zooming up the structure at an ear-popping 60 km/h. Inside, the structure is protected from high winds and earthquakes by a 660 tonne pendulum ending in a giant golden globe, which acts as a tuned mass damper. The view from the top was certainly impressive – I’m sure the event itself will be just as striking!

No comments: