Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

On top of the hill... Tutorial at ITU!

This morning I avoided the temptation of taking a taxi to Istanbul Technical University (ITU). It was a really good idea, as I could watch how Istanbul breathes and goes to work (even on Saturday). Believe me, it was worth the trip. For instance, I could get many views of the Inönü Stadium and a nice surprise: The park that welcomes every Maçka Campus visitor. Even if my destination was on top of the hill, I walked happily among this exquisite combination of Art and Nature.

However, there's something you must stay aware of: probably your country's traffic rules don't apply here. Look more than twice before crossing the street!

The architecture of the building that hosts the Training Event is very elegant, providing a ceremonious touch needed for an academic activity like this. I arrived early, Gergely Sipos and Robin McConnel were already there, finishing the preparation of today's lesson.

The results of the event today were great. Attendees took advantage not only of static material, but also of working examples. Concerning the GridWay Metascheduler Tutorial (my part), attendees could execute jobs on the Grid and try all its functionalities while I was explaining them. From my point of view, this is the best way to introduce a technology to newcomers, because as I use to say to my students at Madrid, “You know there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path”. The funny part was that it wasn't easy to get used to turkish keyboards. For instance, you may find letter i and ı (without the dot)! This created an initial confusion but the Tutorial could go on.
Many questions were issued, which confirms the overall success, giving me a reason to continue on the EGEE Training Activities :-).
(dsa)

No comments: