Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Girls' lunch out! GAP Networking Lunch

The 2nd inaugural Women's Networking Lunch was held today: for me it was a grand success.

I feel much closer to the women I chatted with today, more able to email or ask for assistance with grid projects, and also reconnected with women I met during previous conferences. For me that's why the GAP networking lunches are so much fun. Women are outnumbered by men at grid events -- at this conference about a fifth of all delegates are female -- so these lunches are a great chance to meet other woman, to find out what they do, where they come from, why they are interested in grids or in GAP...

We can't instantly introduce new women to IT, nor can we instantly promote more women in to senior IT positions. But we can raise awareness of the differences simply by getting together, once in a week, to meet new people, learn new things and enjoy a great girls lunch out. Thanks to the GAP team for their efforts in organizing the Networking Lunch. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to next time!

Cristy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to attend a women networking event sometime soon. Do you know of anything in the Dallas area?